



**Dufferin Aggregates Milton Quarry
Community Advisory Panel (CAP)
Meeting Minutes**

Event:	Community Advisory Panel (CAP) Milton Quarry
Date & Time:	Wednesday March 3, 2021 -7:06PM-8:35PM
Place:	Zoom
Chair:	Morgan Murphy, Smithcom Limited
Participants:	<u>CAP Members:</u> Walter Heyden, Dufferin Aggregates, Site Manager, Milton Quarry Scott McCammon, Milton Chamber of Commerce Colin Best, Town of Milton Councilor Bryan Lewis, Halton Hills Councilor Stephen Ng Qui Sang, Neighbour Kristina Tesser Derksen, Town of Milton Councilor Tina-Marie Fava, Dufferin Aggregates, Milton Quarry Kevin Mitchell, CRH Canada Group Inc. Mohamed Mousa, CRH Canada Group Inc. Lisa Grbinicek, Niagara Escarpment Commission Marek Braczek, Guest, Public Works- Halton Region
Minutes:	Emily Lopez, Smithcom Limited
Regrets:	Ted Brown, Halton Hills Councilor (Absent due to illness) Shelly Varley, Neighbour (Absent due to illness) Nancy Tilt, Bruce Trail Anissa McAlpine, Planner, Niagara Escarpment Commission Janice Vancso, Neighbour Jonathan Simopoulos, Neighbour

Minutes

Morgan asks members to review the previous meeting minutes of December 2, 2020. Minor edits are adopted. Morgan calls for a motion to approve the meeting minutes of December 2, 2020.

Walter motions, Colin seconds the motion. December 2, 2020 meeting minutes are approved.

Morgan invites guest, Marek Braczek from Public Work, Halton Region to present the update on the Tremaine road realignment project.

Marek: To reduce traffic and to sustain future development, there are two specific infrastructure improvements that are identified; the western extension of James Snow Parkway, and the second is the realignment of the Tremaine road.

Marek presents the three- part project overview.

Marek: Part 1 was completed by Dufferin Construction in August 2020, from Steeles Ave. to No. 3 Side Road. It consists of a 4-lane urban section with on street bike lanes and multi-use pathways, 600mm watermain servicing, soil rehabilitation works by removing existing bricks from abandoned historical brick works site, grade separation structure at CPR crossing, ground water control system and bridge crossing at 16 Mile Creek. Tremaine Rd. is open to the public from Steeles Ave to Access Road B. Access Road B to No. 3 Side Rd is for construction road access only. It will be open to the public once the interchange is completed.

Marek shows Part 1 plan graphics.

Marek: We are currently in Part 2 – Advance Creek Relocation; construction is in progress until Q2 2022.

Marek shows the area to be realigned, new interchange construction at Highway 401, and swim pond to be constructed. He presents images of highlights of the construction.

Marek: Third part is the new interchange at Hwy. 401 and Tremaine Road. Once this is constructed the old Tremaine pass will be decommissioned. Construction is expected to begin in July 2022 and finished in November 2024. It includes parclo A-4 interchange on new Tremaine Road alignment, final construction of Tremaine Rd. to James Snow Parkway, constructing a new overpass structure that consists of 2-span concrete girders supports on a concrete pier and abutments. Total length of bridge is 88m. There will be a new commuter carpool lots, partial illumination at off-ramp decision points, and signals at ramp terminals, as well as rehabilitation and extension of Culvert C18 and Highway 401.

Marek: The contract is expected to start tendering in Q1 2022. We are currently at 60% of the design and hope to have it completed by the end of the year.

Marek presents detailed design breakdown and potential schedule impacts, which include; completion of Part 2 contact, coordination with current Highway 401 expansion from West of RR25 to Credit River, and potential additional scope added by MTO, such as possible resurfacing of core lanes within contract limits, and Culvert C18 repairs, which require detouring of Westbound lanes.

Marek presents background of Culvert C18 and provides a timeline and summary for the project.

Morgan opens the floor to questions.

Kristina: You mentioned that the old overpass over Highway 401 will be decommissioned, will it be a dead-end street leading into Country Heritage Park?

Marek: Yes, there will be two cul-de-sacs at the end of the street and the overpass will be decommissioned.

Bryan: Is this between Highway 25 and Campbellville Rd? Is there where the entry point on and off Tremaine Rd?

Marek: (Shows James Snow Parkway on map and describes this road is to the East.)

Bryan: Does this present another on and off ramp for traffic coming from the Quarry versus what's happening today, which is that they use the bridge? Is this more of an expedited route to get to the Quarry from the 401?

Marek shows an arial shot of the road on Google maps, to demonstrate where the Tremaine Rd. will connect.

Marek: The extension of the James Snow Parkway shows the extension to the existing Highway 25. Tremaine Rd. will connect into James Snow, and provides a loop to get back to Highway 25.

Bryan: Does it give the trucking operation two roads to use or will we designate one for them to get to and one from the highway?

Marek: I can't speak to that, but it does provide flexibility and alternative routes.

Walter: You're right Bryan, the trucks will most likely use the new Tremaine Rd. as there is less traffic and it gets them on the highway faster.

Morgan asks for any other questions for Marek and if CAP members be interested in Marek sharing these slides?

ACTION ITEM: MAREK TO COMPILE A PDF VERSION OF THESE FILES TO SHARE WITH CAP MEMBERS.

Morgan invites Walter to discuss the 2021 Milton Quarry production update.

Walter: Update and overview of operations. We have 550 hectares, 375 of which are licensed for extraction, and we began operations in 1962.

Operations – 2021 Site Prep

- We are continuing overburden removal from the east cell, and once completed the entire east cell will have the overburden removed.
- The west cell is completely extracted. What's left to complete is the buttress construction which will stop water from leaking through rock pillar. We will stop dewatering it once this construction is completed and allow it to refill.
- Three areas of extraction are; East Cell Top Bench, Bottom Bench, and in the Floor.

- All areas of extraction will be in the East cell this year. Production will run March to end November. We will be producing our usual product of mixed granular base, fines, and clear stones. Blasting began today and will continue to November. Shipping hours same as last year Mon-Fri 5AM- 5PM, with Saturdays on demand.

Steven: Will you be maintaining that 8-meter difference in water level between the West and East cell?

Walter: Yes, we are required to keep that differential, in order to mimic the natural water table.

Steven: Is that water level lower than where I'm at on 15th Rd?

Walter: No, it's definitely higher than that. I don't know that off the top of my head what the water table level is at 15th side road, but it's definitely higher.

Walter shares update on DFA in the community, upcoming events, some of which have been halted due to the pandemic. There will be Earth Day events, such as tree planting and clean up on the 6th line. The Open house/Open doors are to be determined but are on hold at the moment. Financial support continues to be provided to the Darling home.

Walter provides an update on the Dufferin Aggregates - Acton Quarry

- No production planned in 2021
- Shipping is possible based on remaining inventories but at this time no plans to ship out of Acton
- Care and control continue - water/ site is attended daily
- RFPs for design and supply of new plant underway. Although it is closed for shipping but not a closed site- there will be activity.

Bryan: Ok, so while there's no blasting or significant activity -trucks may be driving in and out?

Walter: Correct. There may be disassembly activity in the future as well.

Walter: Dufferin Aggregates Traffic Enforcement Program planned to remain in place for 2021, covers Milton and Acton when it was open, and we do intend to use a 3rd party firm. There is a progressive discipline system in place for offenders, including starting with a three-day suspension to permanent removal from the site.

Walter: Update on licensing. Walter provided a graphic showing proposed limit of extraction in the east cell. Formal application is still to be filed, set for April. There are reports and planning activities that accompany the applications. Preparation of these documents are currently underway.

Kevin: We are working with the joint aggregate team to finalize the terms of reference which aligns all regions etc. It gets into the details and we are working to address those.

Bryan: Could you describe your terminology "overburden"- is that just removing the brush, trees and putting down topsoil? Could you clarify what is removed and what is used for in reference to overburden?

Walter: It's the layer of soil that sits on top of rock. Topsoil and sub soil. The topsoil is removed 1st and its stockpiled. Sub soil is clay, gravel etc. and it's used for fill purposed - either stockpiled or moved immediately for rehabilitation. It could be used to construct buttress. When everything is done topsoil is brought back from where it was stored and used to allow growth, such as vegetation. All soil removed will be reused.

Bryan: So, there is never a waste because the soil will be reused. Topsoil will be put back on the locations where it was removed. Another question. We get trucks queuing up in the morning – why at 5AM?

Walter: Pre-COVID traffic congestion, all ready-mix plants that are producing concrete and aggregate open this early - trucks are trying to get that load in before high traffic. They have earlier start times for shipping to those ready mix and asphalt plants and usually between 7AM-4PM for shipping to constructions sites. Although traffic was partially alleviated due to COVID, now we're seeing that traffic mounting again.

Bryan: That's acceptable, but I think the public should know why they're starting so early. Another concern- we've had a number of resident complaints recently regarding traffic on the side road. We have asked for additional policing because they are using this road to by-pass the weight scales. Why would they use this road if they are not allowed to leave the site overloaded? Why is there a need to bypass the weight scales?

Walter: You're right. No truck is allowed to leave the site overloaded - new trucks have axels that allow the truck weight to be distributed evenly and they've been fined for being overweight on one axel, even though the entirety of the truck is within weight. Another is issuing tickets for mechanic problems or discrepancies. This is speculation or guesswork on my part, but we can put a letter out to our haulers that this is not an acceptable route.

Kevin: I had a conversation with two of your staff members and they said many of the trucks are not from the aggregates industry. Matt said that he is tracking this and that its mostly transport trucks.

Bryan: That's fine, all I can say is that people on the street are concerned by the amount of trucks that are on the road. There will be a crackdown of that road.

Kevin: We fully support that. Since the roundabout came in, if truck drivers want to leave that way its fine but to enter through that roundabout is more difficult. The roundabout facilitates eliminating that problem from trucks coming west.

Bryan: You can expect thank-you notes from residents of the five-side road.

Kevin: Thank you.

Walter: Any other questions or comments?

Steven: You said the application is going through in April. How many months down the road do you any anticipate it will take to open for public commentary?

Kevin: There are two processes; MNF need to review the application to review its complete - this will be filed first as it takes a bit of time. Also, there is the Planning Act - meaning the application will need to reviewed and completed, which also takes time. Then a notification process comes out- newspaper, landowners near quarry and

site. Same thing with the Planning Act - there is signage required. The process will likely take until end of summer and will take a while before it gets to the public domain for comment.

Morgan: Any other questions?

Colin: The application is online on the Halton website under “Mineral Aggregates.” Yes, it does take a number of months to get this information out.

Morgan: Next on the agenda - review terms of reference for CAP members.

Morgan shares document and reads CAP terms of reference from February 2015 aloud. Group discussion to follow.

Morgan: Example changes from the 2015 Terms. We have reduced our meetings from quarterly to 2-3 times a year due to activity. Updating meeting notes in real time is suitable if there are no glaring issues.

Walter: Add “Halton” to the section which states members “must live, work etc. in Milton” and perhaps soften language regarding removing members.

Bryan: I think it’s a serious discussion and requires a review offline so that we may come back with updates and ideas that reflect the current issues. I think we need to add clearer residential concern – not just political and conservation concern. It would encourage residents to participate.

Morgan: I agree - we can consolidate feedback via email and bring this back to discuss during the next meeting.

ACTION ITEM: SMITHCOM TO PROVIDE DRAFT EDITS TO TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR MEMBER INPUT

Lisa: I like the idea of representation - has it been discussed that adequate representation is shown on the CAP, for example businesses, community etc.?

Bryan: We had this discussion years ago and it seemed that people who have only one issue would attend just to bring a single point up. Or that guests would be brought in to address a singular issue. I think these meetings should be brought to the attention of neighbors.

Walter: Yes, and we need to address some of the neighbours which are part of the CAP but have not been participating in meetings. Janice is on the list but has not attended a meeting in quite some time. We can make this an agenda item, to address her position and possible fill it with another neighbour. All neighbours have our information. We are not ignoring them, but we can put out a broader net.

AGENDA ITEM: ADDRESS POSITION OF JANICE AND OTHER Members WHO HAVE NOT ATTENDED PAST CAP MEETINGS

Lisa: Yes, it would serve the group ahead of a new application.

Scott: We need to look for people who serve versus neighbours who don’t want to commit and only come forward as a guest with a particular issue.

Bryan: Yes, I just want the people to be represented. Maybe it's not a big issue until it comes up, which is great. It shows that problems are being solved, and therefore neighbours aren't approaching with issues.

Scott: Yes, and keep in mind that neighbours in the CAP do report back to others in the community.

Kristina: I think for some, a two-year commitment is a lot. Have you thought about maybe creating a rotating position for neighbours only? Last meeting, a group called Sustainable Milton was brought up, which represents many residents in Milton and Halton Hills. Perhaps we could have someone from that group serve as a representative?

Walter: A rotating membership is a good idea, and something we can consider. I have not reached out to Sustainable Milton yet, but also a good thing to consider. Nancy Tilt has not been attending meetings, so after speaking with her there may be a vacancy there.

Morgan: Can we invite someone from Sustainable Milton to the next meeting to speak with us about the group?

Kristina: Yes, I can do that.

AGENDA ITEM: KRISTINA TO INVITE SUSTAINABLE MILTON TO PRESENT AT NEXT MEETING

Scott: I think we need to consider the makeup of the group and identify how many people are in each sector.

Steven: There is a neighbour of mine, off 15 Side Road, who did apply for the CAP.

Morgan: We have received his application and will review that as it's the next item on the agenda.

Bryan: Can we adjust language regarding CAP members who do not attend at least 50% to be removed

Morgan: Yes, and if there are additional concerns please send them to me. I will provide a marked-up version of the document via email as discussed and members can share their input.

Morgan asks Walter to speak on new member application, Alan Davies.

Walter: Alan Davies, a resident near 15 Side Road. Allen filled out application with an impressive resume and I think he would be a good addition to the CAP. Steven, any comments?

Stephen: Allen is a relatively new neighbour; he lives 4 or 5 houses north of me. He is neighbourly, an IT professional, well-educated and interested in participating.

Bryan: I read through Alan's resume and it's my recommendation to put a motion to accept him as a member, to join us on the next meeting.

Walter and Colin second this motion. Morgan facilitates a vote; Davies is approved and will be formally accepted to the CAP. Walter to reach out and invite him to the next meeting.

ACTION ITEM: WALTER TO REACH OUT TO ALAN DAVIES AND INVITE HIM TO THE NEXT MEETING

Morgan: Final agenda item – open forum.

Colin: I have a question to Walter from Regional Public Works – how much water is pumped out daily to maintain the quarry? They came to the last council meeting for 3 alternatives to their well water- I suggested installing a well near the quarry as there may be excess.

Walter: Let me get back to you with that information- can you send it me in an email?

Colin- Yes, will send you an e-mail. I just wanted to make you aware of this, as it could be a good use of this water and water rehabilitation.

ACTION ITEM: WALTER / COLIN TO CONNECT RE: WATER REHABILITATION

Bryan: I think a lot of this info should be given to the public. Could we issue a press release to inform them that we do meet, and summarize information to be made available to the public?

Walter: I agree, maybe a different forum could be a possible option. This was the intention of the website, but not sure how many people visit the site and it may not be as up to date. The Open House did provide this, but we've lost that due to COVID. Let us take this away and review.

Morgan suggests a summary letter be dropped off to neighbouring mailboxes, with the potential of partnering with a local paper.

Kristine: What about social media? Or partner with local associations and their social media and ask them to release news when necessary?

Walter: Yes, maybe this info could be posted on social media.

AGENDA ITEM: DISCUSS THE POSSIBILITY OF A TOWN HALL FORUM / USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO POST NEWS TO NEIGHBOURS

Morgan asks if there are any other topics of discussion.

Scott: Since we are now having virtual meetings, could it happen earlier?

Walter: Yes, I suggest we try 6PM start time for our next meeting, on June 2.

Morgan requests motions to adjourn.

Colin motions to adjourn the meeting.